If you're taking a Western Caribbean cruise, take a look at your itinerary. You just might be stopping at Mahogany Bay or Port of Roatan. If so, you should have time to scuba dive in Roatan during your cruise!
Scuba Diving in Roatan
Roatan enjoys some of the best diving in the Caribbean. In fact, we'll expand that to the whole world! We are lucky to have the world's second-largest barrier reef, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, just off our shore. Our dive sites are only minutes away and our dive conditions are exceptional.
You can expect extensive visibility, varied marine life, intricate coral topography, and intriguing dive sites everywhere you go in Roatan.
Scuba Dive in Roatan During Your Cruise
If you're visiting Roatan on a Western Caribbean cruise, you should have time to enjoy at least one dive during your day in port. Keep in mind a few crucial things when booking scuba diving during your cruise stop in Roatan:
- You can choose to book an organized shore excursion for diving or contact a dive shop of your choosing directly.
- If a dive shop offers to arrange your transportation, that's the easiest option. You will have someone waiting for you at the port and someone to bring you back without worrying about hailing a cab or arranging a time to meet a taxi driver.
- When you communicate with the dive center, ensure they know which ship you are arriving on and what your arrival and departure times are. Also note whether your ship works on ship time or local time while in port. Some ships operate on ship time, which differs from local time. This can cause confusion since local dive shops certainly won't be opening at 6am - even if your watch says it's 8am and time to dive!
- Remember your dive card if you're already certified. It will expedite your paperwork when you arrive at the shop.
- If you are renting gear, let the dive shop know in advance and try to estimate your sizes and weights needed. This will help the shop prepare for your arrival.
Try Discover Scuba Diving in Roatan
Even if you've never been scuba diving before, you will have time during your cruise ship stop in Roatan to do a Discover Scuba Dive. This will teach you the basics of safety and equipment, and then allow you to actually try scuba diving! You'll stay fairly shallow, but in Roatan, that's deep enough to see some amazing sights.
If you are doing a Discover Scuba Dive, you will need to fill out a medical form before being allowed to dive. It's best to review this form before leaving home so you can obtain medical permission to dive, should you need it.
Wherever you end up diving in Roatan, you will have incredibly easy access to some amazing dive sites. Shipwrecks, walls dropping thousands of feet into the darkness, swim-thrus, caves, and stunningly colorful coral topography will entertain and amaze you.
We hope you enjoy your cruise ship stop in Roatan...and maybe we'll see you again for a longer vacation soon!
Don't forget to use #go2Roatan in all your social media posts! Show us your what you did during your day in port in Roatan and tell us about your dive!